Sunday, July 26, 2009

Monday July 20th

Hello,
We left the campground about 5:30 in the morning. Boy we hit a big hill right away on the way out of town. I almost made it to the top but had to walk a few yards. It was too soon and I was not warmed up enough yet. The recumbent is a great bike but it is difficult to ride up a steep hill, although it can fly down hill. By the time we hit Villisca it was time to stop for breakfast. Believe me a cinnamon roll and french toast sticks and a diet coke does not go well. I had a slightly upset tummy and by the time we hit the meeting town at Corning I was feeling better but did not have lunch. Melvin had a pulled pork sandwich. By the way I will tell every one "that Iowa is not flat" The hills are steep when you constantly hit them. Thank heavens for the smoothie guys at the top of the hills. Melvin really enjoyed them. I also enjoyed them just not as much. I was doing okay but by the time we were 5 miles from greenfield I had to walk trough the last town to give my bottom and feet a rest. Believe me, do not always believe the so called bike experts when they say that biking shoes are the best. My feet really hurt by the end of the day. Plus the fact that I have not up to this point rode over 70 miles and this day we rode 72.6 miles and climbed 5,060 feet. But we did make it to Greenfield. The only disappointment was not going to "Bubbas Rock". But it was raining and it was not good. We went to bed again at 9 or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment